ALMOST CHRISTMAS, Almost 1 year ago I heard CANCER!

Almost a year since my diagnosis. I thought I'd be long through Treatment by now. It started with a diagnosis that seemed to keep me waiting forever to hear. I knew the moment I felt the lump, that I had cancer, I am not a person who jumps to conclusions, nor am I an alarmist. I did not have a family history of breast cancer. I just knew.
I am almost a year away from hearing the surgeon tell me it is cancer, both breast. She did not have to convince e to have a double mastectomy. I almost cut her off as she was telling me options, to tell her I wanted the cancer gone, all of it.  She said it could be a lumpectomy. She would decide when she opened me up. She talked of trying to save the nipple. Maybe a lumpectomy on the left as it was a lesser degree of cancer in that breast. She told me I caught it early. (I thought that meant radiation and done)  I don't want a mastectomy on the right ,a lumpectomy on the left.I don't want to have to come back for additional surgeries. Would it be smart to just have a double mastectomy? Yes it would . There would be much less a chance of reoccurrence. At the hospital we discussed it one more time. I was sure . Then she said I will take a look but we will likely do a double mastectomy and reconstruction.
When I awoke in the recovery room I think I was screaming , IT HURTS SO MUCH!!!. I am not sur if I was screaming but I know the nurse gave me a shot immediately, I was still  in a lot of pain , And I think I thought I woke up during surgery or too soon . A second shot of morphine was soon followed by a third. I think I did go back to sleep for a while after that.
When I woke up I had an I.V. with a morphine drip. I asked for more meds as soon I started feeling pain. I was afraid to feel that excruciating pain again.
when the operation was fully explained to me in her office I sort of faded out from what she was saying.
I will say my healing was especially slow as I had just been diagnosed with diabetes,during my pre-surgical testing.
I still have a lot of healing to go through, even though I have finished Chemo and radiation.I am now on 1 pill a day, a hormone blocker that I need to take for 5 years. I will write more about chemo and radiation and I will try to write more often. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radiation for Breast cancer after reconstruction. ROCK Hard Breast.

Why does life go so damn fast?

Someday's it's hard to keep going, so I sit down!